Tuesday, 6 May 2014

Assistive Technology: 5173 - Day One

Saturday was the first day of 5173. As an Android user it was a learning opportunity when I was given iPads to work with. Although the concepts are the same, the operating systems and names are fairly different. All the apps we worked with are new to me as I have only had two iPads in my school at one time. My board is very limited in funding and often I find myself relying on my own laptop to present information digitally.

I enjoyed reading the case study, I seen myself in learning about a student who does not do well with just reading pages but better by hands on learning as well as hearing and speaking. I guess that is what I will be looking forward to is the many in-class opportunities to work with iPads since I do not own one. I found the information we discussed similar to many classes I have already taken, such as why do some teachers see assistive technology as allowing students to cheat and the fear associated with it. Let alone lack of training ever offered to a teacher when this technology is put in schools. Working with the iPads were interesting, using different programs including making our own books. This was interesting to see the many options a student would have to create a story, 3D animations, pictures, comics and audio. Allowing for all students and all learning styles to be apart of telling a story they find interesting.

Assistive Technology is something that I'm very interested in, my board has a limited budget with purchasing technology but I would look forward to many opportunities to have it in my own future classroom. Assistive Technology offers many students an opportunity to express themselves and without there are certainly many students who are not receiving a fair education in our current system.

No comments:

Post a Comment